The One Room School Committee formed in February 1996. Schmidt and Associates Architectural Firm did feasibility studies and determined 1883 One Room School could be moved four miles from Frank McClung's farm north of Pittsboro to the grounds of Pittsboro Elementary School. Dana Dillman chaired the One Room School Committee. Other positions were : Marianne Ash-Education, Judy Pingle-Interior Furnishing and History, Dana Dillman-Finance, Leslie Hassfurder-Publicity, Bob Carter, Frank McClung and Larry Rambis-Moving the school, Todd Scoggins-Architect, and Construction Manager-Tyler McKinney.
The One Room School Committee and many volunteers began work on the building. Old wooden shingles were removed and Tyler McKinney replaced them with new ones. Missing bricks were replaced under the windows and all bricks were pointed. The building was given a new floor, new plaster, custom made windows and electricity was installed for lighting. Original wood was filled to allow much of the original window framing to be used. The One Room School Committee painted the interior and exterior wood trim matching color chips of old plaster, etc.
A grant of $100,000 was received from the White Lick Heritage Community Foundation that allowed the One Room School committee to hire Tyler McKinney as construction manager and bid out work the committee could not do. The restoration was completed by April of 2000.
The first classes to attend were from Pittsboro and North Salem Elementary Schools. After the initial pilot program, the One Room School was available for other schools and civic groups in August 2000. At that time the building was completely restored and furnished with period antiques or reproductions.
The One Room School Committee is indebted to all the individuals who donated time, money and materials for this renovation.
Additional Restoration Photos