"Running Through Time..."
Our original school building was built in 1913 at a cost of approximately $23,000. Construction began in the spring, the cornerstone was laid on June 21st, and the building was completed in December.
Pittsboro was built as a combined high school/grade school and opened with 27 high school students, four of whom graduated in 1914.
A gymnasium was added in 1919-20.
In 1920, the combined enrollment was over 300, with 87 in the high school. This "over-crowding" led to plans for a separate high school building.
The high school was built in 1921, at a cost of $70,000, with cornerstone laying ceremonies held on June 25, 1921. The 1921 graduating class had eleven graduates.
A new gymnasium (the existing gym) was built in 1950, and additions to the grade school were built in 1961, 1971, 1983, and 1996.
The grade school building was abandoned for classroom use in about 1973. The last graduating class was that of 1975, and the high school building was abandoned in 1978. Both buildings were razed in 1981 to make room for an administration building, cafeteria, and additional classrooms.
This information was taken from the "Cornerstone Memories."