If a student is under the age of 18 he/she must obtain a work permit in order to accept employment. Students may obtain information from the Guidance & Counseling Office.
Intent to Employ Form
are available in the Guidance & Counseling Office, or the student employer will issue these forms when a student is approved for a job. Properly filled out forms may be handed in to the Guidance Secretary at the beginning of the school day. Forms must include the student's birth date, birth place and full name with middle initial.
Completed electronically, will be available to the student in the Guidance & Counseling Office at the end of the school day. The student must sign these forms and take them to his/her employer on the first day of working.
The following information is available in student handbooks
An employment certificate issued under I.C.20-8.1-4-32 may be revoked by the issuing officer if the issuing officer determines there has been a significant decrease in any of the following since the issuance of the permit
- The student's grade point average
The student's attendance of school
- Students who exceed the nine day attendance limit shall have their work permits revoked.
A student whose employment certificate is revoked under section A is entitled to a periodic review of these students grade record or attendance record or both, to determine whether the revocation should continue.
- A periodic review may not be conducted less than one (1) time each school year.
- If upon review the issuing officer determines that the student's grade point average or attendance, or both, have improved substantially, the issuing officer may reissue an employment certificate to the students.
- A student may appeal the revocation of an employment certificate under subsection A or the refusal to reissue an employment certificate under subsection C to the school principal.
An issuing officer who revokes an employment certificate shall immediately send written notice of the revocation to the child's employer.