The North West Hendricks School Corporation is taking bold and proactive steps to review its policies and address recent patron concerns with its district. Several of those policies were reviewed at the Tuesday, January 14 board meeting.
The Parent Code of Conduct was immediately forwarded to Indiana School Board attorneys due to recent scrutiny. The ISBA made recommendations for improvement and the NWHSC school board had its first reading of those changes to the policy at the board meeting. Patrons can anticipate a Parent Code of Conduct that is clearer and within all legal guidelines. It will be posted and available once it is board approved, potentially at the February school board
In other action, consistent with its aggressive policy review, a second board reading of changes to all Title IX policies was discussed and all were approved with one exception for a recommended language amendment. Superintendent Scott Syverson said, “We have implemented all feedback from the board, our legal advisers, and the community in updating these policies. We want them to be right.”
Besides a thorough policy review, NWHSC has taken multiple dynamic steps to assure compliance with Title IX including:
• Retained the law firm of Church, Church, Hittle and Antrim to provide Title IX training for all district administrators.
• Joined the Association of Title IX Administrators, a national organization that helps school districts more effectively serve their communities through training and best practices.
• Approved a district administrator as the Title IX Coordinator and approved training.
• Approved the use of Safe Schools Training for all staff.
• Committed to having all staff trained through the Safe Schools modules within the year.
The recent Title IX complaint received from the Office of Civil Rights is under review by attorneys who will submit a district response to the Office of Civil Rights. NWHSC awaits that response and is committed to following any recommendations they may have in addition to the steps that have already been taken.